Pikeville Natural Gas Department
Do you know what to do in case there is a Natural Gas Leak?
If you encounter a leak or a suspected leak, you should immediately take steps to protect yourself and others in that area.
- Leave the area immediately.
- Warn others.
- Do NOT light a match, start an engine, use a telephone (in the area), operate a light switch or do anything that may create a spark.
- Call 911 or your Emergency Response.
Below are some suggested Safety Procedures you should follow, in case you feel there is a Natural Gas Leak.
IF YOU SMELL A FAINT ODOR OF NATURAL GAS INSIDE YOUR HOME OR BUSINESS:
♦ Investigate immediately
♦ If the source of the odor cannot be located or corrected, call our office immediately during business hours at (423) 447-2919, 8:00am-4:30pm; nights and weekends call (423) 447-5555. A respresentative will come to your home or business and make an inspection at no charge to you.
IF A STRONG OR PERSISTENT ODOR OF GAS IS PRESENT IN YOUR HOME OR BUSINESS, OR IF YOU HEAR A HISSING SOUND OF ESCAPING NATURAL GAS:
♦ Get everyone out of the building immediately
♦ Leave the door open.
♦ Use a neighbor’s phone or cell phone outside of the building to call our office.
♦ DO NOT operate any electrical switches, appliance controls, or pull any plugs from outlets.
♦ DO NOT use the telephone inside the building.
♦ Close the cut-off near the gas meter and DO NOT turn it on again (a Pikeville Natural Gas representative will turn it on).
♦ If possible, ventilate the building by opening doors and windows at top and bottom. Start where the odor is strongest. DO NOT re-enter the building for this purpose.
IF YOU SMELL OR DETECT NATURAL GAS OUTSIDE, CALL PIKEVILLE NATURAL GAS DEPARTMENT AT (423) 447-2919, 8:00am-4:30pm; nights and weekends call (423) 447-5555.
Below are two (2) examples how to shut off or check your Natural Gas Meter.
Do you have a procedure in place in case their is an emergency with your Natural Gas?